Somayeh Gholami Bardeji was born in Shiraz, Iran on October 10, 1981. She lives in Portugal since 2009. For her education, Somayeh attended the Ph.D. in Mathematics course at the University of Coimbra where she earned a Ph.D.’s degree in Applied Mathematics in 2013. Besides being a scientist, her big passion is the art of Persian Calligraphy. Somayeh was active in the Persian Calligraphy community in Iran, through her membership of the Society of Iranian Calligraphers in 2004. She is working on primary Kufic and got a master’s degree in Naskh and Ketabat from the Society of Iranian Calligraphers in 2006. She has participated in solo and group exhibitions, workshops, and talks in Portugal and Iran.
• “My worlds” is accepted in BRIDGES 2021 conference, Mathematics, Art, Music, Architecture, Culture 2–6 August, 2021
• Collective virtual exhibition “Arte vs Virus!”, 20th June 2020, artsteps | !ARTE vs VIRUS!
• The visual exhibition, Calligraphy-painting group exhibition Rouhollah Delkhani’s students appreciating Iranian Medical Staff, 5th August 2020, Kahfi Gallery, KA H F I A R T G A L L E R Y on Instagram
• Exhibition, Museu da Fundação Dionísio Pinheiro e Alice Cardoso Pinheiro, March 7- April 30, 2020
• Demonstration in Astoria Hotel, March 5, 2020, Coimbra, Portugal
• Exhibition, Vieira Duque galleria de arte e cultura, February 22- March 6, 2020
• Persian calligraphy workshop, liquidambar, Coimbra, Portugal, January 25, 2020
• Workshop com Somayeh Gholami, Casa da esquina, Coimbra, Portugal, December 5, 2019
• Talk, Presentation about Persian calligraphy, WING (Woman INternational Group) in Coimbra, Coimbra, November 16, 2019
• Exhibition, Liquidambar, Coimbra, 18th-19th, March 2019
• Exhibition, Pavilhão Centro de Portugal, the Norouz event, Coimbra, March 20, 2019
• Exhibition, Liquidambar, Coimbra, 9th June-9th July 2019
Calligraphy is a visual art related to writing. It is the design and execution of lettering with a broad-tipped instrument, brush, or other writing instrument.
A contemporary calligraphic practice can be defined as “the art of giving form to signs in an expressive, harmonious, and skillful manner”.
Calligraphy is the art of forming beautiful symbols by hand and arranging them well.
It’s a set of skills and techniques for positioning and inscribing words so they show integrity, harmony, some sort of ancestry, rhythm and creative fire.